We look for site preservation options that can benefit the design, avoiding the tendency to simply clear a site before starting construction. Are there options for the placement of the structure? Can the natural grade or orientation work to our advantage? Are there opportunities to utilize water-permeable pavement design in parking lots or walkways?
These ideas are not new but, taken together, they open the door to innovative solutions that truly capitalize on the unique features of a site design.
Sustainable design considerations include:
• Solutions – Appropriate and quantifiable design solutions that meet client needs and expectations
• Education – Continuous professional education and increased knowledge regarding the role of sustainable design in our profession
• Verification – LEED certification and applied credits for our staff where possible and sensible
• Balance – Understanding the balance between built and natural environments
• Collaboration – Collaborative efforts within our industry
• Leadership – Responsibility and a passion for making a positive difference